Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Veterans and Guardians

Veteran's Day is one of those holidays that has the potential to frustrate me.  In some ways, it reminds me of Valentine's Day.   So many people treat it as a one-off holiday, that one day a year when you say, think and do all of the things you should really be doing throughout the year.  It's not that we have a special day for these things, it's that sometimes I think people think that recognizing Veterans on this one day is enough.

I grew up an Army Brat....it was a big part of my self-identification as a child.  My dad was Army, and it definitely shaped our lives.  We moved frequently, he would take trips, and while he wasn't engaged in active combat I still lived with the knowledge that if our country were to go to war, he would ship out.

I think this is what makes it extra frustrating to me, when I see veteran issues ignored all year long, then on Veteran's day everyone posts a 'thank you Vetarans' meme or status.  I think that if we, as a country, truly valued our veterans and what they have done for us, what they had to go through and what many of them are still going through, we wouldn't treat them the way we do.

We do have some fantastic programs for veterans and for ex-military.  But I also think that sometimes it's just not enough.  We take for granted all of the freedoms and advantages we have, that often were won through blood.  And even our military who haven't seen combat, train with the knowledge that they could.  They face that every time they put on the uniform.

I fully support celebrating Veteran's day.  I love to see people acknowledging their Veterans and the many other Veterans who they may not know, but still want to thank for their service.  And even if you don't personally know anyone who has served, keep our military in mind throughout the year, not just on this one day.



Last year, while picking up a friend from dialysis, there was a basket of little plastic soldiers out, with the invitation to take one and stick it in your house, as a reminder of all the soldiers who work to protect out country, and thus our homes and way of life.  I picked one up, because I thought it was such a lovely idea...and that little soldier has ridden in my purse since then.  It's a wonder I haven't stabbed myself on his gun while reaching into my purse!

The little plastic soldier reminded me of guardian spirits.  I have a gargoyle statue that is a house guardian.  He sits on my bookshelf, where he can see our front door, to protect our house and all who are within it's walls.  And I think this is a lovely idea with the soldier.

For me, it is a two-fold guardian.  Not only can I work with the spirit of the soldier, the ones who sacrifice to protect us all, but every time I see it, I can think of our soldiers who are out training and fighting for us, and I can say a prayer for them.  I fully believe that mindfulness changes us, and being reminded of our soldiers keeps their sacrifices fresh in our minds, that we may never forget what they give up for us.

Because it's not just about the soldiers who die, though of course they have sacrificed!  But there are also all the soldiers who come back hurt, missing limbs, broken in body.  And the ones who are forever changed, haunted by the things they saw and did, the ones who are broken in mind and spirit.  Some soldiers never transition back into civilian life, and either find a way to stay in a career that lets them be in that warrior mindset or they drift, unable to settle into what we would consider a normal life.

And it's also the soldiers who never see combat, but sacrifice time with their families to train and become ready should we need them.  It's the families who don't see their loved ones.  Even the ones who serve in the National Guard or reserves, sacrifice their free time to train in case we need more soldiers than we thought we did.

Pagan's take on many causes in their practices and work.  We often champion peace and harmony, and many object to war.  And while these are absolutely wonderful goals, and perhaps someday we will evolve as a society to not need soldiers, right now we don't live in that world. 

It makes me horribly sad anytime I see people speaking out or taking action against our actual soldiers, in the name of promoting peace or protesting war.  These are the people who are literally putting their lives on the line for us!  If you don't support war, protest the politicians who create situations that encourage war, or who aren't willing to compromise or look for other solutions.  Work for peace, but honor the people who defend us when we need protection.  Whether we agree with any particular conflict, I think that it is important to remember that our soldiers don't get a choice in what fights they participate in.  They sign up to serve and protect the country, and they go where they are told.  If a specific fight isn't one you agree with, don't forget that the soldiers who are fighting and dying in that battle may agree with you...but they still are doing their job.

There are also many things you can do, to support our soldiers, that have real benefits for the people who are serving or who have served.  Of course, there are many organizations that support Veterans or the military, and you can donate to a cause that you agree with.  There are also places that provide services for our Veterans, and you can find out what they might need in terms of other donations, or volunteer your time to help out.

Another thing that you can do is send a care package or become a pen pal.  Our soldiers are away from their homes, their family and their friends.  While they know what they are fighting for, it is very different to know that in a theoretical sense and to have an actual person conversing with them, and letting them know they are being thought of and appreciated. 

With social media, it is also possible to connect with Pagans in the military.  I knew quite a few military Pagans, and it brings a particular set of challenges.  For many people, their faith is a source of comfort and strength, and while the regulations in the military have been expanded to allow for more expressions of faith, there are many things that are still quite restrictive.

To start with, you don't have a lot of stuff, even when you are here in the states serving a normal, non-combat tour.  Most of the Pagan's I know like their stuff, and speaking for myself, when thinking about what I will take with me on a trip, I always feel like I am slightly ungrounded, because I know I won't have access to the bulk of my things, whether it is books, tools or general supplies.

Some of our tools are also just not really allowed in many situations.  Blades are the first that come to mind, though incense/candles might also be restricted.  In some ways, this is similar to the struggles facing students, when considering how to practice in a dorm room.  But it amplifies the feelings of being alone and not being able to turn to the practices of your faith as you are used to doing them to find comfort.

Living in the barracks also means very little privacy.  This is a huge struggle for many Pagans who are still not comfortable sharing their believes or practicing in a place where other people can walk in on them.  Some may not be out at all, and trying to maintain any sort of practice in those circumstances without other people becoming aware of what you are doing would be extremely hard.

And this isn't even considering actual deployment.  Now you are in a high stress situation, possibly further away from home than you have ever been, and you may not be able to bring with you even some of the things you had in the barracks.  While many Pagans do practice without tools, most of us still have stuff that we use, even simple things like candles, small offerings, herbs or stones...that a soldier may not have access to.

With all of that, think about how receiving a letter from someone who understands would feel!  There is something really magical about receiving something in the mail (something that isn't junk or bills!), and now, not only are they getting a letter, but one from someone who may share beliefs that no one around them does.

Ultimately, I think that there are many ways to honor and appreciate our Veterans.  We all benefit from their service, and it would be good to remember and act upon this the whole year round, not just one day a year.  Celebrate Veteran's Day, but celebrate it as the cherry on top of a beautiful cake...not as the cake itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment