Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Representation in Media


 Representation in media is something that is being talked about a lot more recently, especially around things like race, gender and sexuality, but it is also something that can be very emotional for those of us who follow a religion that doesn't always get good representation in media.


I am always drawn to books, shows and movies about witchy people.  And I don't need them all to be super realistic (though I would totally watch a 'real world' style show about Pagans...."20 Pagans share a house for a year...watch them do moon circles and Sabbats and just everyday stuff!"), I adore watching shows where the idea of Paganism or witchcraft is explored in a creative way....as long as they aren't all "witches are evil and horrible people!"


It really hit home this year, as I was watching the end of Motherland around the holidays and the Yule episode came up.  I adore holiday movies, even the really cheesy ones, but this was like a warm hug, just to see a Sabbat come up and people talking about their memories celebrating it.  

 

And it's not something we get to see a lot, and that makes my heart sad.  Because showing what we actually do and what our traditions mean to us, that is not only something wonderful for US to watch, but it becomes something that other people (who aren't Pagan or maybe don't even know what it means to be Pagan) can watch and see what we are about.


I think especially for anyone who is mostly solitary, having good media representation can fill in for those group gathers that you may not have near you.  Or if you simply don't have the funds to attend or maybe you are sick, you can still get that feeling of meeting up with others 'like you'.


I think people naturally want to see 'people like me' on the tv (or in books or advertising or wherever else media happens), and sometimes you don't even realize how much you were missing something, until you see it and it hits your heart like a freight train.


One thing I find interesting about watching any show where mythology comes into play is how much being Pagan just gives me a huge base of information (that feels SO basic to me), so when a deity or practice is referenced in a show, I know what the meaning of the reference is (and don't have to wait for the show to explain it...makes me feel quite smart sometimes!)


And I can just imagine a world where, not only Pagan practices are represented, but other faiths as well.  I'd love to see more shows that feature families practicing non-Christian religions (because let's be honest....99 percent of what is actually shown on most tv shows is Christian stuff...if the people are other religions, most of their religious practice isn't shown on screen).  I think it would go a long way in helping people be more open and understanding about other people's religions.


I feel like more people are disrespectful out of ignorance, and I also acknowledge that, if you only know of the mainstream media version of Paganism, it could lead to a lot of misconceptions.  And sadly, many people believe shows as Truth, even if it's a show that is obviously made for entertainment (you won't believe how many people think that the Marvel movies are an accurate representation of Norse deities...)


I think it's especially important for Pagans, as so many media representations paint us as the bad guy, and use just enough 'real' characteristics (like showing a character using tarot cards...but then being possessed by the devil for it *sigh), and the idea (that witches are evil) is repeated SO often, that it can be very hard for us to debunk those myths...without other good sources out there.


I have been happy to see more good shows lately that have slipped in some very Pagan ideas.  We have seen shows like the Good Witch or Charmed that show witches as the heroes (even if they give some things a fantasy upgrade, like the witchy powers in Charmed).  But we also still see a ton of horror movies where the witch is the big bad, so the scales are still tipped and we have a long way to go.


But I have hope.  Not only because I want to see more people like me in media, but because we (as a global community) are starting to have more conversations about things like this and we are starting to look for more ways to encourage representation of more groups.  And I think that is a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment